Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Aahhh no time to blog...having too much fun!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! I'm writing this blog at 11pm so please forgive any errors on my part. The whole blog concept is great in theory but actually takes quite a bit of time to maintain and update. So, I apologize in advance if you have checked back a few times just to find no new info. What will be updated a lot more frequently is the Picasa public gallery, so if your jonesing for something new, always try there next. Now, let's get everyone up to speed. I flew into Christchurch on the 29th and stayed through New Years Day. While in the city I did a lot of exploring and eating in cafes because the food is too damn good here. I put a serious dent in my budget but it was worth every penny. The food here is actually quite expensive so it's grocery stores and hostel kitchens for here on out. One day I did manage to get out of the city and do a great hike, starting at the top of the gondola. I put some video of that day on the this page for ya'll to see but you have to promise not to laugh. Yes, I am aware at how much I blinked in one of them, but it's hard for me to be in front of the camera. And you'll notice I have my sunglasses on for all the rest of them :) That simple hike, unexpectedly turned into an epic day for me. I started at the top of the gondola which is actually the rim of an extinct volcano (with the port town being the caldera) and continued hiking all the way to the beach town of Sumner (simply because I could). As you will see from the pics, this is where I encountered my first NZ sheep, right on the trail! For NYE, I was fortunate to meet two awesome girls from Denmark (Susan and Henrietta) to celebrate with. There was free music and fireworks at Cathedral Square, just a few blocks from our hostel. They really made the evening so much fun! Unfortunately, my bus to take me North out of the city came at 10:30 that morning which was a little rough for me. But when new adventures await, you just have to suck it up. So, I've been in Hamner Springs for two days now and will blog about that another time. I leave for Kaikoura in the morning.

No comments: