Thursday, January 17, 2008

Depart in 6 hours for Doubtful Sound

It's 11:30 pm and I just finished getting all of my gear and food sorted
for my two day kayak/camping trip in Doubtful Sound. I really wasn't
planning on being up this late before the trip but there were quite
a few details to get sorted.

The YHA in Te Anau where I am staying in going to store my gear for me
while I'm away. They also have wi-fi so I am using this opportunity
to update my blog and load some new pics of the Milford sound trip.

My day starts with an early 6:20am pickup. Then a quick boat ride
across the lake and a drive to our put-in spot. I figure we'll get on
the water by 9:30 or 10am. We had our pre-trip meeting today at 5pm and it
seems like a good group of people (about 7 of us). The weather is suppose
to cooperate and two whole days of sunshine is predicted, which is unheard of
in this part of the world. So keep your fingers crossed and send those sunny
florida vibes my way!

This particular trip is a budget breaker but it's completely worth the cost
to have this unique experience. I figure I would pay the same amount to
jump out of a plane and it would be over in about 15 minutes. But with this
trip I will get about 48 hours of enjoyment. A much better deal in my mind.

I'll get back on Saturday evening and stay for another night at the YHA.
After that I really don't have a set plan. The first half of my trip was
so rushed and mapped out that now I just feel like going with the flow.
Ideally I would like to meet up and travel around with my Israel friends
(who have since bought a sweet campervan) but those boys are free spirits so it might not happen. If that's the case, then I think I'll start to head north to Mt. Cook so I can get in some good hiking. My feet should be good to go by then!

It's midnight and way past my bedtime so I'll just say "goodnight".

No comments: