Sunday, January 6, 2008

Bad weather means the blog gets updated

I left Renwick on the 9:45 bus and got to Nelson around noon.
The weather is really terrible here at the moment so it's an
excellent day to catch up on my blog.

I will upload a lot more pictures and try to get the video clips
to finally load. Sorry, I haven't had much luck in that dept.

I am couch surfing here with a kiwi named Glen who works
at a hostel in Nelson. It's basic accommodation, ( a tent out on the lawn)
but it's free and I'll get to explore this area with a local for awhile.
He has the hook up with all the outfitters since he spends everyday
referring backpackers to them so that will be nice. I think we will end up
doing some kayaking in Abel Tasman, hiking in Golden Bay and
exploring the area beaches. Hopefully this front will quickly
pass and we will get our sun and blue skies back.

From here I plan to head down the west coast towards the glaciers and
try to coach surf along the way. This coast is suppose to be very wild
with lots of nature to gets lost in. Again, it will be great to explore
it with a local, if that works out.

Have already met some great people, travelling the same route who have offered
me rides, so I may not bother renting a car. It is really easy to get around by
bus just not very liberating.

The area I am in now is the northern most part of the south island. On a good day it feels very tropical with golden sand beaches and crystal blue waters. The pics should be quite nice.

I can't believe I'm only one week into my trip and still have three more weeks
to go. I very blessed to have this much time to explore this amazing country. It
feels really good to be back on the road and interacting with people from all over
the world. Makes me realize just how isolated I am back home and how much I miss
being a global citizen. America is not the center of the universe, even though we like to pretend it is. To everyone back home, get out and travel. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Roy said...

what a truly spectacular and amazing journey you are on! Your pictures and diaries are wonderful! Thank you for sharing! Continue to experience as much as you can and keep thriving!