Saturday, January 12, 2008

Franz and Fox Glacier...

Much gratitude to Bonnie and Steve from Tasmania, who
offered me a ride from Hokitika to Fox Glacier. Their kindness allowed
me to see not one but two glaciers on this trip as well as the Hokitika Gorge.
It was a treat to get off the tourists bus and see the NZ countryside with good people in a tiny, red rental car. Thanks for making room for me and sharing your biscuits!!

I shared a dorm at Ivory Towers (the only hostel in town) with some nice girls.
Amy was from Ireland and Natalie was from England. Turns out that Natalie and I
were booked on the same full day tour of the glacier, so we were able to share that
experience together.

Words really can't do justice to what it's like being on a massive glacier so I am not even going to try. Simply put, it's amazing and something everyone should experience at some point in their life. Despite being a bit cold at times and a little damp throughout the day,I definitely want to spend more time mountaineering and exploring glaciers in the future.I've never seen or experienced anything like it before in my life. Just AWESOME!

Left Fox this morning and arrived in Wanaka (outside of Queenstown). I am couch surfing here for a few days with a couple of american guys (Ross and Steve). This place reminds me a lot of Jackson Hole so already I'm a happy camper! I hope to get in some amazing hikes and some QT in nature.

1 comment:

Roy said...

That was the first thing I told you was that you wouldn't want to come back!! I wouldn't!